Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I change the bulbs in my inground swimming pool lights?

A rapairman said you need special wiring that costs something like $100 a foot. I can see basically how you have to do it but want to make sure I dont electricute anyone.How do I change the bulbs in my inground swimming pool lights?your repair man is correct those special wiring his mentioning are water proof and also supported by plastic tubes to avoid electrocution even if the wiring is faultyHow do I change the bulbs in my inground swimming pool lights?Ensure they are switched off.

You will find that they are low voltage and normally Halogen.



If they have been installed correctly you will loosen the screw and then be able to withdraw the light unit, the cable should be long enough to allow you to bring the whole unit onto the pool surround.

You can then remove the light unit, generally they are a sealed unit similar to those found in cars.

When putting it back together I would put sealant around the rubber 'O' Ring to make sure it is waterproof.



For longer life and using less power you can replace them with LED lamps and as an upgrade have ones that change colour.



Hope this helps,

DaveHow do I change the bulbs in my inground swimming pool lights?the water has to be below the lights in the pool elec.off, replace bulbs. make covers over bulbs air tight. do not turn lights on untill you have water back over the top of the lights. some pools have inspection plates out side the pool to check wiring.if you want you can e-mail me. perryguys@sbcglobal.netHow do I change the bulbs in my inground swimming pool lights?Just did this last year in my first pool. You're thinking at some point, wiring or the socket is gonna be exposed below the water line in the pool, so this has to be dangerous. Not at all. With a pair of goggles, you can see that there are tree or four screws that hold the entire fixture into it's housing in the wall of the pool. Once you remove those screws, you'll be able to pull anywhere from 5, 6, or more feet of special electrical cord out of the side of the pool so you can lay the fixture up on the side of the pool, where you can then open the glass front without ever being in the pool. Hope this was of some help. Make sure the fixture is installed back in the pool before you turn the light on. I think they say it will blow the lamp prematurely. if you don't.How do I change the bulbs in my inground swimming pool lights?That 'special wiring` should already be there.

If it's not, and you %26quot;don't want ot electricute anyone%26quot;, either get the job done right or do without the lights.

Wet people and bad 'electrics` are a fatal mix.

(Do get another opinion if you don't trust the first

service guy though.)