Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pool leaking 1.5 inches per day. Water line finally stops at return valves. Now what?!?

I just bought a house with an in-ground pool and have lived here for 6 months. I am a first time homeowner/poolowner on a tight budget. I noticed the pool level dropped quite frequently. Refilling it was getting expensive and wasteful! It seems to have gotten a little bit worse, or at least, more pronounced, loosing an inch and a half per day. There are two long cracks that looked to have been repaired in the past, near the underwater light housing and the skimmer housing (crack connects between the two). I applied a new application of pool putty just to see if this was the problem. No difference in water loss.



I used food coloring, around all of these suspect areas. There were times it seemed to move towards certain spots, but no clear indication that there was a direct area sucking in water/food coloring. So I let the water leak out the last few days until it seems to finally have stopped, not at the light which I suspected, but at the return valves!



So now I feel that the leak is not in the light and skimmer area, but the return valve. This also may be why one return valve, that I now think may be the problem, is kind of noisy as a result of air shooting out of it during pump circulation. So is this the cause for my leak? If so, what do I do now? The patio surrounding the pool is concrete, however the valve in question is closest to the yard, so maybe I could tunnel if need be?



Are there any preliminary things I can do to fix this? Such as changing the facing part of the return? Or is this most likely the plumbing which I now fear?



Also, how much would something like this cost to have fixed by a pro? IF this even IS the problem?



Thanks!Pool leaking 1.5 inches per day. Water line finally stops at return valves. Now what?!?More than likely its a broken pipe between the pump and pool outlets .Turn off the pump and valves. Plug the openings.Usually 1 1/2%26quot; pipe thread after you remove the eyeball fitting.Once thats done let the pool sit overnight.If water level stays the same its the piping.I back pressure the pipes with air and water witch causes a loud rattle at the break.By putting your ear to the cement you%26quot;ll usually hear it. Now drill a small hole in the cement where its the loudest.Might have to drill a few holes but when your over the break water will shoot out of the holes.Now the fun .Break a hole in cement and dig.Afer you find the break you may want to call the pool guy ,they are a pain in the ___.