Wednesday, November 24, 2010

What to do, for this not to occur?

Okay, so i just spent $50 at the salon to get my hair cut and dyed a light blonde. Naturally i am a blonde, i just wanted a lighter color. And normally chlorine has no effect on my hair. Anyways in a few days I'm going to the beach, and typically after swimming in the ocean all day we go swimming in the pool to get the saltwater off, we're usually in maybe an hour or 2. My question is, how long would it take for the chlorine to take effect on my hair, if it was to turn green. My stylist recommended putting conditioner in my hair before going in the pool, but that's a hassle. and i don't want to have to spend $10 more to get the Malibu treatment if it does change color. So my question is, what's the chances of my hair changing? And how long would i have to be in the pool, for the change to occur?What to do, for this not to occur?I have bleached blonde hair as well, and to protect it, I wet it with regular water (like a poolside shower), then run some conditioner through it before I get into the pool.

The reason why this works is because your hair is naturally porous, and even more so when bleached. Your hair will soak up the clean water, and by the time you get into the chlorine pool, it can't soak up much more. Therefore, less chlorine in your hair. Conditioner creates a kind of %26quot;barrier%26quot; in between your hair and the chlorine water, making it harder for the strands to absorb chemicals.



I don't really know how long you'd have to be in a pool for your hair to start changing color, though I'd guess the longer time, the more risk of your hair turning green.

You mention it's a %26quot;hassle%26quot; to put conditioner in your hair beforehand, but if you pick up a $2 bottle of conditioner at a drugstore (it doesn't need to be anything fancy) and toss it in your pool bag, it doesn't take more than a minute to wet and condition your hair.

And really.... rather safe than sorry! Would you want to mess up your $50 bleach job just because you didn't want to take a small precaution?



Good luck!