Friday, June 3, 2011

19 Month Old Son Suddenly Petrified of Other Children?

My son has always been outgoing, fearless, jovial, and fairly independent. However, in the course of 48 hours he is fearful of other children. We attend a music class once a week and also are at the playground, library, or swimming pool at least 5 days out of the week. He plays hard, runs hard, sleeps hard, and is always on the go. But in the past 2 days he is just completely spooked by other kids. Kids running, laughing, playing...even if they don't look at him. even if he thinks they might be coming his way. I am a SAHM so we are together a lot, but I always have made it a priority to make sure that he was socialized. He has play dates and friends....but for some reason this seems like a light switch flipped to on and he has completely changed.



I do not think he needs day care since he is often times with other children...just am not sure if this is a phase and if anyone else had experienced it, dealt with it, and was wondering how long it lasted.



Thanks in advance.



Also...he is fine with adults...warms up pretty quickly...19 Month Old Son Suddenly Petrified of Other Children?My daughter went thorough the same thing....I am a SAHM too. My daughter was very sociable until she was almost 2 and then she suddenly turned painfully shy....BUT she turned back again at age 4. It's weird and I have no explanation other than they may suddenly realise not ALL kids are nice....e may have worked out that some kids push or bite...not that he hs been pushed or bitten but he could have seen things....as kids who stay home with Mom,they are often a little shocked by nastiness...especially if they have no older siblings....staying home with us they are quite protected which is good in my opinion...NO toddler should have to learn how to sand up for itself in my opinion. He wll get out f it.....it may not take so lon as my daughte did.....just carry on as you are....he will come round.